When people think of a car’s exhaust system, they likely think of the cosmetic details an exhaust pipe adds or subtracts from an automobile’s overall aesthetic. Actually, your car’s exhaust system is vital to its overall functionality, even though many people don’t know why car exhaust is important in Conway, AR.
What does an exhaust system actually do?
The exhaust system in your car or truck performs the vital tasks of keeping you safe, minimizing the emissions released into the environment and maintaining your fuel consumption. The importance of car exhaust in Conway, AR cannot be understated. Think of your exhaust system as your vehicle’s respiratory system and the exhaust as the dangerous gas that the lungs exhale while breathing.
Your exhaust is comprised of numerous parts that ensure you aren’t inhaling carbon monoxide will you drive, while also burning fuel as efficiently as possible. For example, all vehicles have a minimum of two oxygen sensors installed. This is how the car’s computer knows whether or not to increase the amount of fuel burning at that moment. This is why car exhaust is important in Conway, AR: because it’s one of the ways your vehicle consumes gasoline. If your oxygen sensors aren’t working, fuel efficiency will drastically decrease.
Is your exhaust system functioning properly?
There are a number of signs that may indicate that your exhaust system is not working correctly and that you’ll need to take your vehicle in for repair:
- Noisy exhaust sounds: If it suddenly sounds like your muffler isn’t dampening the sound of your engine and its noises, this could indicate your exhaust system is experiencing a problem.
- Vibrations: Unfortunately, vibrations can be a symptom of many automotive issues, including ones related to your exhaust system. If your vehicle is vibrating and also losing power, this might mean this system is failing.
- Check engine light: This dashboard indicator might turn on if your catalytic converter stops working. This is the part of your exhaust system that converts harmful carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into water vapor and carbon dioxide. If your check engine light illuminates, make an appointment with your local auto mechanic as soon as possible.
- Rattling sounds: Does it sound like someone is shaking a tin can filled with spare change when you drive? That is the sound of a failing catalytic converter, and you want to have it looked into immediately. This component of your exhaust system is one of the most expensive parts to replace, so addressing this problem sooner rather than later might save you a lot of money.
- Poor fuel efficiency: Similar to vibrations, decreased fuel efficiency can indicate many issues, including ones related to your exhaust system. Rather than filling up your tank more often, take your car in for an inspection.
There should be no question about why car exhaust is important in Conway, AR. From keeping you healthy to protecting our environment, problems with your exhaust system should never be ignored. If your European vehicle is experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, contact us now to make an appointment with one of our reliable, knowledgeable mechanics.