With their many moving parts, car engines can experience a host of issues. If your car engine is failing in Conway, AR, it’s important to get to the root of the problem and make the necessary repairs. For best results, spot the signs of a failing engine as early as possible. This will prevent further damage, reduce the cost of repairs and allow you to get back on the road faster.
There are a few common reasons for a failing engine that you can keep an eye out for as you operate your vehicle. Following are the top five:
- Shakes: If your car shakes while running, this is a prime indicator that your car engine is failing in Conway, AR. Some vibration is normal while an engine is running, but shaking is not. This can indicate the spark plugs need to be replaced, the car has loose or damaged hose, or the fuel intake system needs repair. If you replace the spark plugs and tighten all the hoses, and the car still shakes, you should consult with a trained mechanic to diagnose the issue.
- Smoke: Whether it’s white, black or blue, any smoke coming from your engine is a bad sign. However, the color of the smoke can help you determine the cause. White smoke is often a cracked cylinder head or blown head gasket. If the smoke is blue, your car probably has worn valves. Black smoke is a bit more vague, and could indicate a variety of problems, such as a malfunctioning emissions system. In any case, smoke means your vehicle needs immediate attention from a mechanic to prevent your car engine from failing in Conway, AR.
- Sounds: A sudden increase in the noise level of your car is an indication that it needs repairs, but it’s probably not an engine issue. Typically, noise is created by the exhaust system, which can affect your engine performance, but it is a separate system. If a gasket or seal is broken, this can cause loud noises. If you cannot determine what is causing the noise, don’t hesitate to partner with a mechanic to get to the root of the issue.
- Seepage: If you move your car and notice a puddle on the pavement or concrete where the vehicle had been parked, don’t ignore it. This seepage could indicate a serious problem with your vehicle. Examine the puddle to determine what fluid is leaking. It could be oil, coolant, transmission fluid or other liquid. If it’s not oil, you can try tightening all hoses and other components to prevent the leak. If you can’t stop the seepage right away, take your car to a mechanic for repairs, before the problem worsens (and it will).
- Signal: Of course, the clearest indicator that your car engine is failing in Conway, AR is the check engine light. If this signal comes on, don’t ignore it. Your vehicle’s computer is designed to use this light to communicate that something is wrong with the vehicle and needs attention. Bring your vehicle to a mechanic, who can use proper diagnostic equipment to determine the issue, then make appropriate repairs.
We have you covered
For reliable technicians you can depend on, contact Riverdale Automotive. We specialize in European vehicles and offer a full range of services to keep your car running smoothly. Reach out to us today!