Car enthusiasts love tinkering with their rides to make their vehicles go faster, sound louder or look cooler. But what if we told you that there are also some performance tune-ups in Conway, AR that can make your vehicle more fuel-efficient? This post will cover a few tune-ups that’ll save you big bucks at the fuel pump:
- CVT manual transmission: Cars tend to run better and be more fuel-efficient when there’s consistency. For that reason, automatic transmissions, which provide a more consistent ride, generally tend to be more efficient. However, this is changing thanks to new continuously variable transmissions. CVTs use two pulleys connected with a steel band that work to give your car the optimal gear ratio. In fact, CTVs are so efficient that they were banned by Formula One in 1993!
- Aerodynamics: Fuel efficiency is all about being as aerodynamic as possible. The less wind resistance your car faces, the less fuel you’ll use up while driving down the road. Everything from using grille blocks to removing bike racks can make your car more aerodynamic and much more fuel-efficient.
- OBD monitor: Wouldn’t it be nice to know your miles per gallon in real time? Thanks to the ScanGauge OBD II Monitor, that’s a reality! These devices are only a few hundred dollars and give you your MPG as you’re driving. This will help you be more careful with the pedal while you’re cruising down the road.
- Diesel to WVO: Our love of French fries, chicken nuggets and other fried foods has led to an abundance of waste vegetable oil (WVO). What are we supposed to do with all of that old oil? How about using it to fuel our cars! You can have your diesel engine retrofitted to operate using a combo of diesel fuel and WVO, which you can usually get for free from restaurants.
- New tires: Your tires obviously play a big role when it comes to fuel efficiency. In fact, the U.S. Department of Energy estimates that up to 11 percent of fuel consumption is used to combat energy loss from drag and friction on your tires. Swapping out your current tires for low-rolling-resistance tires can save you $78 per year on fuel costs. Granted, these tires cost quite a bit more than $78, but it’s something to think about if you’re in the market for a new set of tires. Additionally, make sure your tires are always inflated to the proper level to make them as fuel-efficient as can be.
- Lose weight: Okay, so this one isn’t technically a performance tune-up, but you can save tons of money on fuel by making your car lighter. For every extra 100 pounds in your vehicle, your car uses one to two percent more fuel. If you have tons of unnecessary junk riding around in your trunk, it’s time to take it to the dump or leave it in your garage.
If you’re ready to start saving money, then bring your vehicle to our shop for some performance tune-ups in Conway, AR! At Riverdale Automotive, we provide top-of-the-line services that will have your car looking and running its best.