If you drive a car with an automatic transmission, you probably don’t often think about how crucial it is to your daily commute. A properly functioning transmission is key in getting you from point A to point B. A car with a failing transmission will give you a jerky ride, or might not even move at all. Luckily, there are several signs that your transmission is on its way out and is in need of transmission repair in Conway, AR:
- Fluid leak: You might be able to tell you’ve got an issue with your transmission before ever even opening your car door. Look down at the ground. Do you see any dark red or brown spots? It could be from a transmission fluid leak. Without the right amount of fluid, your transmission won’t function properly. Leaks happen for a variety of reasons, and they should always be handled by a professional. If you suspect a leak, lay some cardboard down under your vehicle to check to see if it’s an active leak. If it is, bring your car to a trusted mechanic as soon as possible.
- Warning light: Those warning lights on your dashboard can go off at any time due to electrical issues, but that doesn’t mean you can just dismiss them anytime they start blinking. If your transmission light turns on, it’s not a bad idea to take your car in for a full inspection. Catching and fixing the problem early can save you a ton of money on repairs and help avoid further damage to your vehicle.
- Transmission is slipping: Does your car seem to be going along just fine and then all of the sudden change into another gear or have trouble getting down the road? You may also hear a sudden whining or grinding noise coming from your engine. If this is the case, you might be experiencing transmission slipping. This isn’t just an annoying problem—it’s a major sign that something is amiss with your transmission. The only way to tell for sure is to bring your car to a mechanic for an inspection and any necessary repairs.
- Rough shifts: Have you ever ridden in a manual transmission car with someone who’s really bad at driving a stick shift? If so, you know that’s not a very fun experience! Your head jerks back and forth each time he changes gear. The same can happen to your automatic transmission car when the transmission starts to fail. If your head is jerking around while you’re driving down the road, it’s time to take your car to a professional.
- Delayed engagement: You expect your car to automatically move forward when you press the gas. If your transmission is on its way out, that might not happen. If you’re experiencing delayed engagement, the engine will rev up when you press the gas, but your car will just sit in its spot. Needless to say, you’ll need to call a tow truck to get your car in to the shop!
Don’t hesitate to bring your vehicle in for transmission repair in Conway, AR as soon as you notice any of these signs. The longer you wait to have your transmission fixed, the more expensive it’ll be to have the repairs. Get in touch with Riverdale Automotive today to learn more!