A write up by Consumer Reports in late 2015 shed light on a very interesting concept in the world of foreign luxury vehicles. The document, as reported by the Associated Press, explained a new phenomenon wherein modern redesigns of vehicle transmissions have been instrumental in reduce fuel consumption and increasing fuel economy… however they could be doing so at the cost of the transmission systems themselves! Bottom line: new transmissions are better for fuel, but could wear out quicker.
If you’re a luxury vehicle owner or have been for more than a few years, you might have firsthand experience with this phenomenon. Some of the common symptoms indicated by the report include:
- Transmission slipping, which can show itself in the form of a struggling engine, quick rpm changes or a whine from the engine.
- Delayed shifting, which immediately becomes apparent when you downshift and your vehicle offers a delayed reaction.
- Transmission fluid leaks, which are easy to see thanks to the bright red drips that will stain the pavement under your vehicle.
- Constant warnings from your transmission light, indicating that there’s a problem out of sight.
All of the above do indeed signal a transmission issue and each should warrant attention from a professional trained in European auto repair in Conway, AR. A professional can run a diagnostic review of your vehicle to determine what the cause of your transmission troubles might be and what can be done to remedy and avoid them moving forward.
Now, while your luxury vehicle’s transmission might be paying the price for industry demands of higher fuel economy, here’s no reason to panic—luxury vehicles have some of the best warranties on the market! In choosing a repair professional who is experienced with your vehicle, you’re also making the choice for stellar workmanship that will generally fall within warranty guidelines.
How to sustain your transmission?
The good news in all of this is that for the average luxury vehicle driver, you’re not likely to see many issues (if any) from your transmission throughout the life of your vehicle. There are also a number of things you can do to preserve your transmission if you’re worried:
- Have your mechanic add a friction modifier to your transmission fluid.
- Have transmission components checked and serviced at regular intervals, as designated by your vehicle’s manual.
- Have your cooling system serviced and maintained accordingly. The biggest cause of failure regarding your transmission’s failure is going to be heat.
- Only use a technician trained for European auto repair in Conway, AR for vehicle repair and maintenance.
Taking preventative steps to keeping your transmission in keen working order and trusted properly trained professionals to remedy any issues or provide repairs is going to go a long way towards keeping this critical vehicle system in top working order.
Remember, luxury vehicles are called luxury for a reason: they offer you the best options possible when it comes to features, construction and performance—not to mention warranty.