The debate over buying a foreign or domestic car is not new. While each car owner must decide for themselves which is the better route for them, every driver should be aware of certain differences that exist between European and American cars. It is also important to know that foreign auto repair in Conway, AR requires specialized knowledge and skill.
Let’s first take a look at the differences between European and domestic vehicles.
- Quality: European brands are typically known for high quality and longevity. American cars are often notorious for lower price with a lower quality. European carmakers are recognized for high-performance engineering, superior craftsmanship, speed and reliability. Foreign cars are winning in the race for the best suspension, steering and handling.
- Style: Personal preference weighs in heavy for this comparison. However, European cars are known as exotic for a reason. They are recognized for their style options, with sleek lines and high-quality aesthetics. European carmakers are known for innovation when it comes to style. Ultimately, though, both foreign and domestic cars include options each driver may like or hate. It is simply important to know that styles typically differ greatly between the two.
- Price: When considering both purchase price and the cost of repairs, American cars are usually friendlier to your pocketbook. European carmakers simply can’t offer as many savings due to cost of production, shipping and specialized parts. However, many drivers understand this aspect of foreign car ownership, and are willing to be flexible in this area for the added quality of a European car.
Next, let’s examine the special needs we must consider regarding foreign car repairs. Keep these criteria in mind when choosing a mechanic:
- Complexity: Obtaining service on a foreign car can be more involved than having a domestic car serviced. This is because parts come from overseas, specialized training is needed and technicians must be trained on cars not created in the U.S. It’s important to know that not every mechanic shop is prepared with this special knowledge and skills to complete repairs on foreign cars.
- Certification: Work on foreign cars requires specialized training. Mechanics who work on foreign cars must have dedicated knowledge about these vehicles. Their systems are often quite different than American-made cars. When choosing a professional mechanic to perform repairs on your foreign vehicle, ensure they have the proper certifications to complete this work. Check their credentials to verify they are the best-qualified for the job.
- Coverage: A good warranty on a foreign car is especially important. Look for repair professionals who honor or provide lengthy warranties. Don’t be shy about asking what kind of guarantees on parts and work a mechanic offers. Your mechanic should understand that in the long-run you need to ensure your car is up-to-speed and properly covered.
As you keep these comparisons and special considerations in mind, it is clear you should not simply take your foreign car to just any shop. It is important to recognize that foreign cars require special knowledge and will receive the best service from a shop that specializes in foreign auto repair in Conway, AR, such as Riverdale Automotive.