Your car’s transmission is one of its most important parts. The transmission in your vehicle helps to regulate speed by ensuring that the correct amount of power from the engine reaches your wheels. This critical part of your vehicle shifts gears so that the car properly starts, stops, speeds up and slows down.
Having a malfunctioning transmission can seriously impair the way your car runs, and can even stop it from working altogether. Whether your foreign car has a manual or automatic transmission, you will want to be aware of the following warning signs that your vehicle needs transmission repair in Conway, AR:
- There is a burning smell: If there is a burning smell coming from the underside of your car or from under its hood, it could be a sign that your transmission needs to be checked. The smell of burning materials may be caused by your transmission overheating because of a leak or presence of muddy fluid.
- Fluid appears underneath your car: If fluid drips from your vehicle, it can be a sign that your transmission has a leak. When checking your transmission, its fluid should not be opaque, dark in color or have a burning smell. If any of these conditions exist, speak with a professional about your need for transmission repair in Conway, AR.
- Your check engine light is on: The check engine light in your car is the signal for a wide range of issues that may take place under your car’s hood, including transmission problems. If your check engine light illuminates because of a potential issue with your transmission, you will want to schedule a service appointment to identify the problem.
- Your car isn’t shifting gears properly: Because your transmission regulates your car’s speed, problems with shifting gears typically signifies that there is an issue with a vehicle’s transmission. If your car won’t get into gear or experiences delays in speeding up or slowing down, it is critical to have a mechanic look at its transmission immediately.
- Abnormal sounds come from your car: If your car is making whining, grinding, humming or banging noises, it may be a sign that your transmission needs repair. This is especially true if your car makes these noises when it is in neutral. Loud, abnormal noises can stem from broken or worn out parts in your transmission that need to be repaired or replaced.
- You notice your car is shaking or grinding: A properly functioning transmission should not grind or shake as you increase or decrease speed. If you notice that your car is experiencing atypical movements, it may be a signal that your transmission is dirty, needs more fluid or is damaged.
If your foreign vehicle is experiencing any of the above warning signs, it is important that you speak with a trained auto repair professional about scheduling an appointment. Keeping your transmission in good condition can help keep you safe on the road and prevent serious damage from happening to your car. For more information on repairing and maintaining your car’s transmission, speak with a skilled mechanic at Riverdale Automotive today.