Working in a Mercedes Benz repair shop in Conway, AR is not like working in any other car repair facility. The specialized training to work on Mercedes vehicles requires particular attention and a certain type of focused individual. Whether you hope to become a Mercedes mechanic or you are a consumer who owns a Mercedes, here is an overview of what it takes to work on these high-quality cars:
- Background: The Mercedes-Benz mechanics training program is not for newcomers. You need to have automotive experience before you are even considered. Before admission, you must show basic familiarity with engine, mechanical and electrical systems. Depending on the school, you will usually interview and take a short test to show this knowledge. Good high school auto shop classes often cover this material, but you may have to take an auto repair program at a community college if you have knowledge gaps. Mercedes-Benz considers these skills essential for working on its advanced systems.
- Education: Being a technologically advanced brand, Mercedes expects its mechanics to have basic mathematical abilities. For that reason, applicants must earn a high school diploma or GED before consideration. Otherwise, it is assumed a person’s training in the Mercedes systems will not go far.
- Ambition: If you are a person who strives for career and educational excellence, Mercedes-Benz will be a good fit for you. The mechanics program seeks the most motivated and serious students to work on these special cars.
- ASE certified: Gaining ASE certification can be helpful, although it is not always required. It shows that you are a serious mechanic who will thrive in the demanding atmosphere presented by the Mercedes program. It also demonstrates understanding beyond the basics, which helps you during years when competition to get into the program is especially high.
- Physical and mental dexterity: Hand-eye coordination and the ability to effectively use tools are essential to be an auto mechanic, but for Mercedes, that is doubly true due to the advanced systems. Attention to detail is also notable, as the fine-tuning of every Mercedes vehicle makes it responsive to even slight differences in its adjustment. Rather than seeing a divergent reading as “no big deal,” you need to be inquisitive enough to discover why, and make the needed adjustments.
While these are typical requirements, there are other considerations, too. The interview checks for skills, but also whether you have the drive to work within the high expectations advanced by Mercedes-Benz. Expect to discuss career goals, and if you impress, you will get a chance to tour facilities and meet instructors.
If you are a mechanic seeking another dimension to your career, the Mercedes-Benz program will prove to be a good challenge. For customers in love with the Mercedes brand, you will rest assured knowing every work order for your vehicle will be performed by a skilled and passionate individual. For the discerning owner seeking a Mercedes Benz repair shop in Conway, AR, Riverdale Automotive can offer that expertise. Call us today to learn more.